I picked up a wordgrid from Dudeney Ge’s store on Edunation(he’s so generous) and decided to have a go at it. It’s great! You get to drag words to pictures. There’s no feedback, so you have to do it with an ‘expert’ there .. but I could imagine a game where learners could discuss the answers as a group and use prepositions and imperatives to complete the grid collectively, then go on to compete to be the first to get a correct version (with the teacher running from board to board!!)
Little tips for anyone else trying it for the first time: (this will all be obvious for any old-timers reading this!)
- take time to read the instructions which come with it;
- press ctrl+alt+T to see the ‘transparencies’ so that you can select the word easily
- use the corner red and blue bits to navigate across the grid quickly (quicker than just using horizontal and vertical arrows)
- always click the board to clear the pictures and the words before you take it back into your inventory(otherwise the words are left hanging in the air separately)
I then went further, and edited it for French.
- I saved the ‘original’ into a newly created folder called ‘wordgrid’,
- I created a folder called ‘wordgrid French’,
- I did a ‘save as’ and named it ‘wordgrid French animals’,
- I created a new notecard containing a list of 16 words and named it ”words’ (-you have to call it words for the wordgrid to work),
- I saved the card into the ‘wordgrid French animals’ folder,
- I dragged the word list into the contents area.
Et voilà – ça a marché!
Next step: to be able to package it up for passing on to others.
- I created a little box (right click on the land / create / select object / click the wand on the ground)
- I asked Helen to make a picture to put on the box in her world, (she’s actually quite proud of her creation – she used snagit to bring together 2 pictures and some text – and she’s featured her 2 cats!)
- she uploaded it as a ‘texture’ into my world (File / upload …it only cost her 10 Lindens for this – about 5p in her world)
- I added the texture to my box,
- I dragged the wordgrid, the words list, a ‘give to all’ script, and something else into the box, (must ask Anna what the something else was .. I’ve lost it now and it’s not working!)
- I checked the boxes to say that other could copy and modify but not sell the word grid
But now the sad news …..
While Anna was patiently giving me instructions, and was affirming that it had worked, we both got thrown out of Second Life, and sadly, I seem to have lost the box! Of-course, we SL citizens are not fazed by this (!!!) so I did the whole exercise again. But this time I forgot the ‘something else’, and so when I was showing off to my friend Gizmo later on, it didn’t work.
Watch this space for the answer!
Anna also passed me an object which allows you to organise your textures into little ‘mini-folders’ .. will really help to retrieve textures from pre-defined categories as I build up my bank of textures, and Anna says it has the advantage of constituting fewer prims. I expect when I grow up, I will understand better what that means.
I’ll sign off now .. Helen has asked me to help her with an excel spreadsheet. But I’ll try to upload a picture of my box first.